ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:30:38 -0400
Rules like these do represent widely held beliefs about language,
beliefs that also include a lot of what is generally called folk
etymology.  Nancy A. Niedzielski and Dennis R. Preston have a 2003 book
in which they treat folk beliefs about language as an object of study in
their own right.  Rules like these tell us a lot about what is publicly
believed about language, about grammar, etc., and it is these beliefs,
much more than the expertise represented in ATEG, ADS, LSA, NCTE, CCCC,
etc., that drives the politics of language and of grammar at both local
and national levels.  It's all too easy to dismiss such beliefs as
uninformed, but in doing so we also miss the very topics we need to be
addressing with a broader population if the NPG initiative is to have
any serious impact.  The UK has been better at this than we have.

Herb