ATEG Archives

October 1997

From:
H Thomas McCracken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:25:46 -0500
Bill McCleary,  NCATE has three guidelines directed toward
writing/composing.  The language section with its eight or so guidelines
is formidable.  My own institution is going to two courses in linguistics.
I think the pressure is to give more wieght to writing and language, as
you indicate.  But I don't believe it was intended that a five-year
program be required.  In any case, that is the prerogative of the state
and /or institution.  Neither is it NCATE's purpose, in my judgement, that
all of these guidelines be met in discrete courses.  Obviously the more
pervasive the concept throughout one's program, the more effective.
Sometimes, setting a few guidelines off in one or two courses is the least
effective way.    For example, if many courses treat some aspect of
dialect, that would be far more desirable than if a part of one course
were responsible for it, to the general exclusion of other courses.  But
you're right.  It's not easy to get all of these things done.  On the
other hand, those of us who are accredited by NCATE will have to try to
meet the program.  I haven't given you the rest of the guidelines, simply
because they have a few minor changes ahead.  I was premature with the
language ones, but couldn't resist sharing them with all of you,
particularly for help with active verbs.  I'll be glad to share when we're
done.