ATEG Archives

November 2000

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:22:40 EST
In a message dated 11/28/2000 4:47:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:<< Lot's more fun for English teachers with
low I.Q.'s and axes to grind than teaching grammar, logical thinking, and
classical literature. >>

Oh, dear.  This is the kind of rhetoric that reinforces the widening chasm
between "traditional" grammarians and "English teachers."  What a pity that
the argument (diatribe?) isn't couched in terms that invite an English
teacher (me, for instance) to discuss the issue.

Sigh.  Lucky I'm not the sort to rail against grammarians with outdated views
of literacy and rather naive views of the relative value of Western Civ in an
increasingly global and wired world . . . .

Gretchen in San Jose (who teaches _Beowulf_, Greek mythology, and _Tom
Sawyer_ in addition to _The Watsons Go to Birmingham 1963_, and material by
Gary Soto and Kyoko Mori - and wearing another hat - world history)