ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Susan van Druten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 18:21:03 -0500
Craig, I just don't understand your logic.  You were asked to
evaluate two passages that contained the same content.  The first had
boring sentence starts and the second had variation.  You admitted
the second had "more flexibility" but then concluded that it doesn't
make it better and went on to speak for Ed that he couldn't possibly
believe the varying sentence starts made it better.

That struck me as arrogantly dismissive.

Do you have any proof that teaching students how to vary their
sentence starts compromises their ability to write with coherence?
It seems like such a  stretch  Varying a sentence start doesn't force
students to vary the subject.  If varying sentence starts doesn't
lead to incoherence, would you change your stance?  Or do you have
other concerns as well.

Susan