ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:27:16 -0500
> Bill,
    I appreciate your attempt to douse the fire. The case for cognitive
grammar is available to anyone interested, and I hope there are many
on the list.
   As you say, generative grammar was never intended to be a pedagogical
grammar. Other grammars, if they prove to be more accurate descriptions
of the language, may also have the benefit of giving us a case for
placing grammar much closer to the center of the English curriculum.
   "Cognitive grammar accepts that becoming a fluent speaker involves a
prodigious amount of actual learning, and tries to minimize the
postulation of innate structures specific to language." (Ronald
Langacker, "A Dynamic Usage Based Model", in Barlow and Kemmer, Usage
Based Models of Language, 2000.) In the same essay, he calls cognitive
grammar "maximilist, non-reductive, and bottom-up" in contrast to the
"Minimalist, reductive, and top-down approach of generative grammar."
   "Because the linguistic system is so closely tied to usage, it follows
that theories of language should be grounded in an observation of data
from actual uses of language....Intuitions about constructed data
cannot be treated as the sole, or even primary, source of evidence as
to the nature and properties of the linguistic system." (Kemmer and
Barlow, from the introduction to the same text.)
   I don't think it is useful to the list to have an argument for
different approaches, especially since a more articulate presentation
of these views is available within the literature.
   I also think we shouldn't discourage each other from full articulation
of views, even when they clash.
   I have been on this list for several years, and cognitive grammar has
hardly been mentioned. I believe that is a weakness in ATEG, that we
haven't reached out. Generative grammar observations have been
constant. I hate to think that alternative views are suddenly not
welcome. We should be open to new ideas, not stuck in the same old
place, especially given the current public stalemate on the teaching of
grammar.

Craig

Craig, Bob, et al: