ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:02:15 -0500
Martha,

    What a wonderful start.  I agree with both these basic points, that
our Scope and Sequence recommendations MUST include respect for the
language expert in all of us and must include a re-examination of
traditional "parts of speech." To me, a structural grammar is also a
phrase structure grammar.  We need to look at what happens when words
expand into phrases and phrases build into clauses.  Traditional parts
of speech doesn't predict much of it. You can't just jump from word to
sentence without serious problems.  >
    There are huge implications from both of these positions, some of
which have bolstered opposition to grammar for some time.  If language
is acquired, rather than taught, then perhaps we ONLY need to teach
those aspects of use that violate standards. (Many on the list seem to
take this position, you and  not included.) If the parts of speech
don't carry over well into actual practice, perhaps that explains why
teaching them doesn't have much effect on error. (The infamous Hillock
report, which never considered whether grammar had to be accurate3
before it could be useful.) And so on.  Many writing teachers, myself
included, encourage freewriting and relaxed first drafts in part to
free students up from fear of error and allow a natural grammar to
flow through.  If so much attention to error makes us distrust our own
language expertise, then grammar should be shuttled aside during
"important' writing stages. (That's very true if error is all you
associate with grammar.)And so on. When a student believes there is
something fundamentally wrong with their language, they become the
writing equivalent of speechless. Their language is much too complex
for us to teach, how are they to precede if they are expected to park
it at the door? Trust is everything, and good writers seem to
routinely testify for it. A writing voice (voices) must grow from what
the writer already knows.  Everything else is a prescription for
failure.
    As you know, one of my quarrels with Grammar Alive (in addition to the
missing Scope and Sequence)is the failure to acknowledge functional
grammar. Systemic functional grammar has had a huge influence on
movements to reintegrate grammar in other countries.  It is the least
elitist of the linguistic grammars, having been concerned with
practical application from the start. Generative grammar, in contrast,
has never been intended for the public.  It has influenced education,
but no one has advocated that it should be directly taught.
    When most people complain about 'grammar" today, they complain about
behaviour. Even the standardized tests seem to fall into this. People
want us to clean up the messiness of speech and the terrible
influences of family and neighborhood (as they see it) and want us to
do it quickly and neatly. The progressives tell us, with some
justification, that this doesn't work.  Both sides have a highly
reductive understanding.  To quote Laura Micciche:  "grammar has a
range of referents (ie, prescriptive, descriptive, rhetorical)that
describe very different kinds of intellectual activities, differences
that matter tremendously.  These differences evaporate, reducing the
issue of grammar instruction to a rather simple rejection of a banal
practice, when we fail to specify just what kind of grammar we're
rejecting" (College Composition and Communication, June 2004, p717).
     So I agree wholeheartedly that teaching grammar means bringing a
highly complex unconscious system to conscious light. The system
already includes a grammar; we use the same term (grammar)to name our
understanding of it.  Grammar participates in the making of meaning
in ways that remain unconscious if we choose to leave them so.
Conscious understanding can help us help students use language much
more effectively. It is difficult to sell that idea to people who
don't know enough to understand what you are talking about and may
already be entrenched in comfortable ideas. Scope and Sequence will
allow us to go ahead and present an approach to those, however few
they may be, who are curious and open-minded enough (like the school
system you have been working with in Maryland) to give it a chance.
    I hope all that makes some sense.

Craig

 Dear Colleagues,