ATEG Archives

March 1999

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:37:12 -0500
Bob, I don't think that's an aphorism.  Actually, it's an argument, and,
as a petitio principii, a faulty one.  To assert existence, I suppose,
some might say "I am."  But ordinarily that sounds empty of meaning.  I
would expect that "I am a teacher" is a more sensible use of the copula.
Crane didn't say either, "A man said to the universe, / Sir, I am."   He
said, "Sir, I exist."  I think that "John is" sounds complete only if we
are tainted by philosophical forethought, no?

==Reinhold