ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
shun Tang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:28:05 +0800
Hello Sophie,

All for one and one for all

If we say that "He lives in Hong Kong" is some kind of action such as habit,
eternity, repeated action, endless action, you-name-it. We may use any other
tense to describe the action:
Ex: He has lived in Hong Kong for 18 years. He is still living there. He
said that he will live there for some more years and then go back to
Australia.

All the tenses here are in fact describing the same action. Different tenses
describe different part, that is, time of the action. All tenses are for the
same action, and so the same action is for all the tenses.

This is therefore very different to the conventional view that we use Simple
Present to describe habit, and Present Perfect to describe result. Actually,
every tense can denote habit, or result.

What do you say to this new idea?

Shun
englishtense.com
Please post your message to the following address:
http://www.englishtense.com/forum.asp
under the subject question: "All for one and one for all"

N.B. Answers directed to me will be reposted to the above address and
discussed by all.