ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:15:22 -0500
    Hunt and Loban were working within the generative tradition, which
means they were predisposed to think of language as evolving in a
somewhat biologically pre-determined way. In other words, we would be
likely to pick up a construction in the same way a woman grows
breasts, because it is time. Interaction, of course, is part of that
(just as proper nutrition would be for biological development.)
   Very different sorts of approaches are being developed from the
cognitive side. I don't want to claim to be an expert, but the sense I
get is that a child learns the language appropriate to the world into
which he/she is being socialized. The child does so using normal
cognitive processes, not processes special to language.
   Children learn very complicated grammar early on for the concepts that
matter most to their world. "He made me." (causative). "Give me that
one." (di-transitive)>The theory now is that these start out as "island
constructions", that the child learns the grammar that goes with
"giving" and "making" and only later does that become more generalized
(schematic).
    Absolutes are very rare outside of writing and probably not within the
repertoire of most writers. You can certainly make a case that
exposure, for most children, is limited.
   Cognitive models emphasize that language is learned and that learning
the grammar is not different/separate from learning the vocabulary and
that all this is mentored in some way. They actually reinforce some
aspects of our older "common sense" view of language. It doesn't just
happen.
   I would recommend Michael Tomasello's "Constructing a Language: A
Usage-Based Theory of Language Acquisition" (2003). For an argument
that the "arguments" of grammar are built from bottom up, see the work
of Adele Goldberg, including "Constructions at Work: the Nature of
Generalizations in Language" (2006).

Craig

Scott,