ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:44:29 +1000
As soon as `the teaching or grammar' crops
up the `in isolation', `dead boring', etc.
allegations also rise. Why does this not
happen when people talk about teaching mathematics?

We really ought to face the fact that grammar as a
school discipline is an approach to Linguistics in no
lesser measure than school maths is an
approach to Mathematics.

By the same token, do we ever doubt that school maths
will result in students' better ability to count small change?
Why then do we doubt that students' better ability to write
will be the result of their being taught grammar?
Sophie