ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:34:34 -0500
Allison,

The list is a pretty public forum, but you show a fine sensitivity in asking permission.  For my own postings, I have no problem with you using them.

On your grammar question, this looks like one of many cases of hypercorrection.  If the wh- form comes after a verb or is the subject of a subordinate clause within the relative clause, people tend to use "whom" because they're not sure and they know that in some cases "whom" is correct.  You've analyzed the sentence correctly, and it should be "who".  The Latin analogy, as well-put as it is, doesn't apply.

In usage as well as in its historical development, "whom" has always been marginal in Modern English.  It is now used regularly only after a fronted preposition, as in the Hemingway title For whom the Bell Tolls.

Herb