ATEG Archives

October 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:48:04 -0400
I get both "wanna" and "waDa", where the latter has the alveolar tap and is nasalized throughout.  For "center" and "winter" I get only the second of the two possibilities.

Not a speaker of Youngunese for a long time, but definitely rural SE Michigan, pre-NCVS.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University
Muncie, IN  47306
On 2009-10-29, at 8:43 PM, Assembly for the Teaching of English
Grammar wrote:

> This represents a fairly common problem of syntax and morphology not
> lining up with each other.  Certainly "to eat" is an infinitive, but
> "to" also cliticizes to "going" when "going to" acts as a modal, as
> shown by its contraction to "gonna".

I think overmuch is made of this phonological point. The 'to' in
"planning to" has a similar realization, but nobody makes a big deal
about 'planna'.

The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language calls 'to' a
subordinator (a small set that also includes 'that', 'whether/if' and
certain uses of 'for'). It's neither part of "be going to" nor part of
the infinitive.

Best,
Brett

Brett Reynolds
English Language Centre
Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

interface at: