ATEG Archives

November 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:46:02 -0500
If you confine yourself, as most texts as well as the Quirk et al. grammar do, then you'll probably find something like an SVOO pattern and an SVOC pattern.  The former is for ditransitives.  The latter covers complex transitives, or object complement constructions.  Because these models of grammar do not involve derivation, object + infinitive constructions will fall into this pattern as well.  So, yes, "we wanted him to go home" and "we elected him president" have the same pattern.  As to the treatment of nominative absolutes as containing an implied "be," you're right.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University
Muncie, IN  47306
From: Atchley, Clinton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 11:37 AM

In traditional grammar you find a similar use of objective case pronouns
when they function as subjects of infinitives in a sentence like "Bill
wanted him to go home."  Here the infinitive "to go" functions
as the
direct object since what Bill wanted was the action of going to take
place.  Bill does not want "him"; "him" is the agent of the
action of
the infinitive.  It's quite common actually.  "We consider him to be
completely honest."  "The teacher let us decorate the room."
"We left
after seeing him break the record."

Clinton Atchley, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English