ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 21:23:46 -0400
Herb,
    I recommend the Longman Student Grammar as a highly interesting text
based on those explorations (Biber et. al.) when I first ordered it, I
got a phone call from one of their editors who was surprised I was
using it outside of ESL. I use it in a third year class I have
developed for the Linguistics Department: Writing, Reading, and
Language. It's a Writing Intensive course (students need to take an
upper level writing intensive course for graduation)that explores the
usefulness of knowledge about language for reading and writing. We
take a genre centered approach, not only exploring the language
features of different genres, but writing within those genres as we do
so. The overwhelming consensus among those students is that knowledge
about language is extraordinarily useful. I tend to get good student
reviews when I teach, but this course is exceptionally well received.
We do a lot of grammar, but it is not at all focused on error. It
seems to me that reducing grammar to error is the main reason it loses
interest. It also distorts the subject considerably in the process.
    Jane mentions passive voice in scientific writing. It helps to know
that the passive is not just a stylistic option, but that there are
highly functional reasons for its increased use in scientific
contexts.
    Treating the passive as an error not only drains interest, but
distorts language in the process.

Craig