ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:22:27 -0800
When it comes to form vs. function, I teach the linguistic
definitions for the various parts of speech (that is, dependent on
whether or not a word takes certain suffixes or can appear in certain
phrase slots). I teach phrases and sentences as consisting of
function slots into which various categories of word, phrase, and
clause can be "plugged." I draw boxes with various slot roles, such
as "head" and "modifier" for phrases, and "subject", "predicate",
"direct object," etc. for predicate- and sentence-level slots. Thus,
a word, phrase, or clause can be plugged into the "subject" slot;
many items, from nouns to prepositional phrases to clauses, can be
plugged into the "adverbial" slot.  A book manuscript I have with
such boxes is praised by students for being, in general, accessible
and clear in its explanations.

I teach at the college level (but mostly to students who have had
little to no grammar instruction), and this seems to work for most
students. I would guess that it might work for well-prepared students
from middle school on, but it is hard for me to judge. My friend in
seventh grade is doing math I did in 11th grade ... she goes to an
affluent school, though.

An obstacle for many students is the conflation of form and function
that takes place in earlier grades. Even those who have had minimal
grammar usually remember the rote definitions for noun, verb, and
adjective, and many think that anything that modifies a noun is an
adjective. This makes it harder for them to adjust to a new (but more
accurate) system of definitions later.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374