ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:27:19 -0500
Hi, Larry.

One aspect of textspeak that is clear to me is that there do appear to
be several varieties (we could call them dialects!) that seem to be
based on age or other group memberships of the writer/speaker.

The example with you and your wife is a good example. When does 'y' mean
'yes', and when does it mean 'why'. I imagine that some users would say
'y' means 'yes' and 'y?' means 'why?'

The take away is that unless you really know your reader/listener, you
need to be sure that you are clear!  You probably cannot make as many
assumptions as you think.

Linda
Linda Di Desidero, Ph.D.
Director, Communication Studies & Professional Writing
University of Maryland University College
School of Undergraduate Studies
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD  20783-8083

College English Association-Middle Atlantic Group
http://cea.stevensonuniversity.org/

Maryland Communication Association
http://www.marylandcomm.org/

(240) 684-2830 (Department)