ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 10:55:19 +1000
Dear Shun,
I'm all empathy! I fully agree
that expressions such as `the
present-tense sentence' lie to
the effect that tense is capable of
typifying sentences. Tense does
nothing more than perform some
sort of location in time.

Efforts to typify sentences must
address their syntactic and semantic
procedures.

Sadly, there is no hope of abstracting
any sort of rule about English tense.
This is because tense rendition cannot
yield any sort of linguistic universal: its
rendition is language-specific habit, or
convention.

For example, the French `Je suis ici
il y a deux ans' expresses exactly the
same sense that English does with:
`I have been here for two years'.

That the French version renders tense with
the present and the English with a past-like tense
is just a fact about these two language-specific
ways of rendering tense.

Most pedagogical grammars that address learners of English
fudge the language-specific nature of tense rendition
by pretending to come up with `rules'. Their effort serves only
to confuse and irritate learners.

Never mind: When I am dictator I shall outlaw all TEFL/TESL
kinds of grammars and allow English to be taught to learners
only through Comparative grammars! (Please note `when I
am dictator': a present-tense form in a `future' sense! Sock
that to creepy rule makers!)
Sophie