ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:37:53 -0500
Herb,
    You and I have been over this one before and I don't want to just
repeat that. But I do have a question. When "that" is required in the
subject slot of a relative clause (As in "Anything that touches you
touches me") is "that" simply holding down a slot (for sentence
processing ease)or is it actually acting as subject in that relative
clause?
   My current sense of this is that it's more a matter of drawing
classification lines than it is of disputing how this stuff works. The
dynamics of a relative clause are different from the dynamics of a
content clause BECAUSE DELETION OF A SENTENCE ELEMENT DOESN'T OCCUR IN
CONTENT CLAUSES. In a content clause, "that" remains fully outside the
clause (in a way that the "wh" pronouns do not.) For that reason, we
can say "His wish that she would be at peace was granted" includes a
clause ("that she would be at peace") that is more like a content
clause than a relative. We can also use "that" along with "wh" pronouns
in a content clause. "I believe that what she said was right." In a
relative clause, we have much more the feeling that we are choosing
between them, as we do with "that" and "which". Some books recommend
"that" for restrictive, "which" for non-restrictive. You have nothing
parallel to that choice in content clauses.
   So "that" has some overlap with the "wh" pronouns in relative clauses
that it doesn't have in content clauses.
   I have seen a sudden increase in an awkward "in which" pattern, I think
coming out of New York City. "We were driving a car in which I bought
from my brother." That's not an actual example, so I may be distorting
the context, but in the cases I've seen, an unusual number, the "in"
seems not at all appropriate. It does seem to come more from a spoken
dialect.

Craig
Seth,