ATEG Archives

February 1995

From:
John Dale Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Association of Teachers of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 01:17:21 -0600
I am appalled when I see grammar errors on television.  Locally, "it's"
and "its" get confused, and I try not to rile myself up about those, but
there is a national ad for Wrigley's Winterfresh gum that displays a
redundancy.

The graphics show 98.6o (my processor will not let me superscript my "o"
for degrees, but in the advertisement, it does float) and then the word
"degrees" is displayed beneath the numbers.  Audio includes, "Your mouth
is a steamy 98-point-6 degrees...."

Does anyone else get hot about this?

[log in to unmask] (Mission/McAllen, TX)