ATEG Archives

October 1996

Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:03:28 -0400
I spent part of this morning rereading many contributions to this
group which have dealt with the value of studying the language
itself in addition to reading and writing.  Some were focussed on ESL,
some on prospective teachers, some more general.
        I, myself, feel that for a person to call himor herself an
English major without ever having given much more than passing
notice to the structure of the language is no different from a pre-
med student not knowing humans have skeletons.
        I sure could use some amunition to keep making my case.  I
have gotten the department to agree to let me teach a grammar course,
but I am very aware that some are assuming that not enough students
will enroll for the course to be allowed to meet.  There willl be
enough if some of these same people point there advisees in my
direction.
        If any of you have fought similar battles to get such
a course off the ground, I'd sure appreciate knowing some of the
arguments you used.
        The students by the way are curious, but having a hard time
envisioning an English course that is neither a literature course
nor a writing course.  I expect to offer them a sample class
before preregistration.

Emily Wilson-Orzechowski