ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:13:07 -0400
Eduard,
    I'm not  trying to sum up the conversation to this point as if it
were somehow conclusive. I actually thought of it as a kind of
research--not into language acquisition, but into the general views
about language acquisition that people on the list bring to our teaching
or our language discussions. I am trying to act as moderator, which
means I'm being a little careful not to argue too stridently for a position.
    I agree that there is a new perspective developing through
usage-based approaches, and the people developing it are looking closely
at what actually happens. If they are right, there are  implications for
teaching that grow out of that.
   But maybe you could address that question. If language, including
grammar, is not innate, but learned interactively, how should that
affect our teaching?

Craig