ATEG Archives

December 2014

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2014 16:55:18 -0800
I think the problem is fundamentally definitional, and we may not all be on the same page with what we mean by “run-on."

One very common understanding of the term is that it refers to a sentence with two or more main (independent) clauses that are not properly joined.

And one common understanding of what constitutes “proper” joining is that you can separate those clauses with a period, a semicolon, or a comma + a conjunction (drawn from the FANBOYS, or FANBOY if you’re old fashioned, list). A FANBOYS word without the comma is not on the approved list of alternatives.

If you accept that definition of a run-on and that list of rules, both of which are very widely taught, the sentence is a run-on, even if it’s rhetorically effective as it is.

If you say no, it’s not a run-on, is that because you use a different punctuation rule? Do you perhaps accept the punctuation rules but have some different term for this pattern (e.g., fused sentence) that you consider to be distinct from the run-on? Or do you have a different understanding of what constitutes a run-on sentence altogether?