ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:02:36 -0500
Michael,

I *think* I encounter "aware + N" fairly often, but I still find it
awkward in most cases, so it may not just be a frequency effect. I
suspect it may be a guilt-by-association problem -- I usually encounter
it in "memospeak," and associate it with words like "impactful" and
"functionalities." Piers Anthony's usage only reinforces that for me,
but probably unfairly; I've disliked his writing for a very long time.
The prescriptive part of my brain keeps getting in the way of the
descriptive part.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell