ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:52:51 -0500
Seth,

That's one of the arguments I didn't go into.  There is a hierarchy of grammatical relations that governs all sorts of movement and deletion processes across languages, called the Keenan-Comrie Accessibility Hierarchy.  Here's an example from the Wikipedia article on the KCAH, which is worth reading:

Subject 	That's the man [who ran away]. 	The girl [who came late] is my sister.
Direct object 	That's the man [I saw yesterday]. 	The girl [Kate saw] is my sister.
Indirect object 	That's the man [to whom I gave the letter]. 	The girl [whom I wrote a letter to] is my sister.
Oblique 	That's the man [I was talking about]. 	The girl [whom I sat next to] is my sister.
Genitive 	That's the man [whose sister I know]. 	The girl [whose father died] told me she was sad.
Obj of Comp 	That's the man [I am taller than]. 	The girl [who Kate is smarter than] is my sister.

Notice that "that" can occur in prepositional phrases only if the preposition is stranded.  "...to that I was talking" is not possible.  Also, the genitive, as I pointed out earlier, does not allow "that."   These are precisely the positions in which asyndetic relatives are also ungrammatical.  There is an extension of this in colloquial speech and in non-standard dialects where the gap in the relative clause is filled by a resumptive pronoun.  These occur in genitive and comparatives especially, although they'll also occur in more complex constructions.  An example would be "?I'd like you to meet the poet that we read a lot of her work last year."  We certainly would not allow that in formal writing, but it's not at all unusual in speech.

The comparative marker "than" acts a lot like a preposition in English, and so if we combine it with prepositional phrases, which in this version are collapsed with indirect objects, then what we see is that asyndetic relatives are blocked only at the lowest level of the hierarchy, Genitives.  The fact that "that" can't be dropped if the gap is in subject position is a separate phenomenon that is related to language processing needs.  Otherwise that-deletion in noun clauses and in relatives is pretty much the same rule.  That-relatives and zero-relatives then fall together into one subclass of relative clauses that behave differently from wh-relatives.

This distinction between that- and wh-relatives reflects the history of the language.  Historically, English had only the that-type and asyndetic relatives, although the subordinator was "tha" rather than "that."   This is a reflection of the strongly paratactic structure of Old English:  not a lot of subordination but lots of main clauses in sequence, sometimes conjoined by "and."  Old English did not have wh-relatives until the Late Old English period when they developed probably from indefinite relatives under the influence of Latin, which the scribes of the time knew well.  In Latin, relative clauses had to be formed with relative pronouns fully inflected for gender, number, and case.  After the Norman Conquest, when the tradition of Alfred the Great's English scriptoria was suppressed, wh-relatives also disappeared and didn't reappear until the late 13th c. when, once again, Latin influenced writers borrowed the structure from Latin.  Wh-relatives even today are more strongly a feature of educated standard English than of non-standard dialects, which use that- and zero- relatives much more.  In fact, wh-relatives are still so much a function of formal education and of Standard English that when non-standard speakers attempt to use the wh-pronouns to initiate clauses they frequently use them in unusual ways, as in sentences like "We were going to have a picnic Saturday, which it rained."  Such wh-coordination is not at all uncommon in spoken non-standard dialects.

Herb