ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:09:08 -0500
John,
   I like the distinction between the grammar in the language (an
absolutely necessary system for any language to be a language,
significantly rule- based, but largely unconscious) and the various
theories or descriptions of that grammar.  (Halliday uses the term
"grammatics" for the theory part of it, in part because it's so easy to
misunderstand how the term "grammar" is being used.)  >
    When people say we don't need grammar or that grammar is harmful, they
are obviously not talking about the grammar in the language.  Imagine
the confusion if the word "life" meant both "life" and the study of
life.  It may make sense to say we don't need biology, but to say we
don't need life is nonsense. (A prescriptive grammar is about as
useful as a prescriptive biology, but that's another line of thought.)
The day we don't need grammar (in the language itself) is the day we
don't need words.
    If we love language, how can we not want to nurture an awareness of it?
    The "debate" about grammar can't happen in any kind of meaningful way
without the kinds of clarifications (and open questions)you are
presenting to your students.  I get the sense that your enthusiasm is
infectious.  It comes across in the posts.
   Will you be with us in July, at the conference?

Craig
  Thank you to Martha, Craig, Herb, and all the rest who have been