ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:51:28 -0400
Bill,
    I agree very much that we need to be careful about this. The literary
view of symbol isn't the "right" one by any means. But to the extent
that it is built oj observations about how the mind itself builds
meaning, it's not irrelevant to a discussion in other fields.
   In the literary case, though, even "conventional" as you define it
wouldn't work. We could think of the whale in Moby Dick as a symbol in
the sense that it gathers so much resonance and meaning as the novel
goes on. It's hard to imagine a critic who wouldn't treat it that way.
But before Melville wrote the book, there was no "convention" to use
whales as symbols in that way. A literary symbol, the best of them at
least, seems to draw on the nature of the element functioning as symbol
in the building of new kinds of meanings. Metaphor, in the same way,
has more power when it's original, not the same old cliche. The source
of a true symbol's meaning derives from a natural power of the mind
(Turner calls it "The Literary Mind") to build unique meanings in that
way. We don't just see things on a literal level, but naturally
generalize out toward other applications.
   If Lakoff and Johnson are correct, metaphor is at the heart of
language. This mental ability allows for the creation of new meanings,
not just the repitition of conventional ones.

Craig  >

Craig,