ATEG Archives

June 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:51:35 -0400
Herb,
   This is a very thoughtful position, and I certainly welcome the idea
that people who may disagree on theory can come together to jointly
lobby for increased attention to grammar. You're right; many of the
functionalists tend to present their views in contrast to the
generative position, and that seems a useful conversation.
   One widespread notion, of course, is that grammar is primarily a set of
prescriptive rules that need to be followed to write "correctly". The
minimalist position seems to grow out of the idea that students need to
jump through those painful hoops, but might be able to do that with a
minimum of attention. That position seems shaky enough that most people
seem at least ready to embrace the need for more robust
understanding--to promote some comfort with standard English and some
fluency with punctuation. The most explicit of the core standards are
framed around  punctuation--to set off introductory elements, for
example, or between coordinate adjectives, or to set off nonrestrictive
postnominal modifiers. By the ways these are phrased, it would seem at
least suggested that these would be made explicit, not simply intuited
through soft explanations.
   Beyond that, the question then becomes how do we theorize (or describe)
a connection between knowledge about grammar and effective writing. The
common core standards don't make those connections as well as they
could, but maybe that's asking much at this early stage.
   It would be useful, I think, to promote experiments with teaching
grammars that make connection between form and meaning, between grammar
and discourse, more routinely. It's probably a bit early to expect that
to be prescribed nationwide.

Craig

 Craig,