ATEG Archives

December 2014

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2014 08:00:43 -0800
John's concern about grammatical legalism is well placed. To call out something as a run-on carries with it an intrinsic criticism of “not worthy,” which can definitely be beside the point. To run with your legal metaphor, I’m sympathetic to the maxim, “de minimus non curat lex,” particularly as a pedagogical matter in the classroom. On the other hand, I also spend a significant portion of my time training writing teachers, so I spend a lot of time thinking about how the system of rules we set up lead to consequences down the line as teachers and their students try to employ those rules on real-world language. (You’ll note that in my last email I was very careful to attribute the definition of run-on to a “common understanding” rather than owning it as my own position. That’s because I’m not convinced that it’s the right one, but I do see it as a logical consequence of the way run-ons are commonly taught.)

Dick, I think I understand how you’re laying things out. I’m still working through the consequences in my head, though. It’s interesting that you include the semicolon among the list of sentence-final punctuation marks. I wouldn’t do so, as the semicolon always needs to be followed by something else, and that something doesn’t automatically start with a capital letter. You can’t, for example, have the final sentence in a paragraph end in a semicolon the way you can for the other marks. And in this scheme, some of your sentences will start with lower-case letters. For myself, when I use the term “sentence” without a qualifier, I mean an orthographic sentence, starting in a capital letter and ending in sentence-final punctuation. Whether or not it’s syntactically well-formed can be indicated with additional commentary. Thus, I can say, without self-contradiction, things like, “This sentence is a fragment."

So that I understand your definition of a sentence, are you saying that an independent clause along with all its dependents and adjuncts is a sentence, but it’s not a sentence if it’s introduced by a coordinator like “and"? That’s the only way I can make sense of the distinction you draw in saying that the “so” example is a single sentence (unless you consider “so” a subordinator, but your example with “and” makes me think that’s not the case). Correct me if I’m paraphrasing you badly, but it looks like you’re saying that the use of a coordinator makes the second independent clause not a sentence. In that case, what status do you assign to a coordinator initial sentence (e.g., “But there’s more to be said on the issue.”)? Is that not a sentence, under your definition?

Gerald, I wasn’t advocating a particular position, only exploring the consequences of following one widely taught set of rules. I was even neutral on whether “so” should be preceded by a comma or a semicolon. But as a linguistic matter, “so,” in the meaning under discussion, doesn’t appear to belong in the same category of “however,” which is unambiguously a conjunctive adverb. In particular, “however,” along with most (all?) the other conjunctive adverbs,has a positional mobility that “so” lacks. Compare:

 I, however, kept writing.
*I, so, kept writing.

That lack of mobility affiliates “so” more with the coordinators and subordinators than the adverbs. (Note that “so” can be an adverb, but only other senses, such as “very” (I’m so sorry) or “in this manner” (I kept writing so), not in the meaning of “as a consequence”. As I think I’ve argued on the list before, “so” has some properties of a coordinator and some properties of a subordinator, but it does not seem very adverb-like to me in this function.