ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 22:23:03 -0500
Janet,

You have two uses of the past perfect in your example, neither of which our resident past perfect shaman would like, since they are not clearly triggered within the same sentence.  (I should be very careful about defining his terms since he does tend to react with verbal violence to such attempts.)  I would regard "had forgotten" as triggered by your time perspective when you wrote or uttered the sentence, that, for example, you had forgotten prior to his having reminded you.  The second use "had asked" I find more interesting.  It's a little harder to find a trigger for, although not impossible, but it reads more like an increasingly common use of the past perfect to mean a remote past.  Not a past event prior to an reference past event, but rather a past time that is more remote than the time one would normally use a simple past tense for.  This use has sometimes been criticized as characterizing younger, inexperienced writers.  I don't think you're an inexperienced writer, and so I conclude that the use of past perfect forms to represent remote past meanings is becoming a part of at least informal standard English.  Lots of other languages make the same distinction, of course.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University