ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:53:41 -0400
Some historical context might be useful here. There was an enormous amount of flux in the seventeenth through nineteenth centuries in the inventory of "parts of speech" -- school texts tended to vary between seven and ten (those that went for ten frequently counted the article and the participle as separate; those that went for seven sometimes lumped what we'd call adjectives and nouns). Somehow, society survived this disagreement among texts without descending into barbarism. Some of the texts even went so far as to point out that the actual number was a matter of convenience. Even that did not bring on a new ice age. Eight, of course, is what Latin grammarians arrived at when adopting/adapting Greek grammars; the idea that eight was the universal number of parts of speech, not to be trifled with in any way, was founded on the medieval notion that all extant languages are flawed images of Latin (oratio est omnia divisa in partes octes, or was that Gaul....I forget).

The modernish notion that parts of speech are "givens" rather than a dynamic product of categorization is partly an artifact of a market-driven consensus (maybe due to the popularity, and hence influence, of Reed and Kellogg's texts in the early twentieth century) and partly because of what always happens when you try to introduce complex material to beginning learners: you leave out the messy bits.

Now, I would not suggest that we inundate seven-year-olds with the messy bits. And using traditional terms may be strongly warranted if trying too hard to diverge from them produces more confusion and resistance than is justifiable. However, I'm not *sure* that people would react all that badly to "word classes" as a term -- after all, we're bombarding youngsters with Venn diagrams as if they're the best thing since sliced bread; it's not as if no other subject addresses the notion of categories. Like it or not, a "part of speech" is a category; nothing more, and certainly nothing less. We have to acknowledge that there are multiple ways you can divide words into categories, and that only some of these are relevant to grammar, but that doesn't seem very strange or intimidating.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University