ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:37:58 -0500
Dear John and Paul:

Here are some added thoughts on your "dressed in pretty frocks" sentence.
That participial phrase at the end of the sentence is nonrestrictive (hence
the commas).  A nonrestrictive participial phrase that modifies the subject
noun headword can follow the headword, the position I call its home base:

        The girls, dressed in pretty frocks, marched around the oval.

It can open the sentence:

        Dressed in pretty frocks, the girls . . .

Or, as in your example, it can close the sentence.  That versatility makes
participial phrases a terrific tool for writers to understand and use.

Interestingly, such a nonrestrictive participial phrase appears only in the
subject noun phrase; a restrictive one (no commas), on the other hand, can
modify any noun in the sentence:

        I know those girls dressed in pretty frocks. (direct object)
        I talked to the girls dressed in pretty frocks. (object of prep)

But notice what happens when we add a comma to make it nonrestrictive
(i.e., when the girls are already defined for the reader and the modifier
simply comments):

        I know those girls, dressed in pretty frocks.

This sentence makes no sense, because now the "dressed" phrase appears to
modify "I"--and it obviously doesn't.

Here's another example:

       Jim washed the car standing in the driveway. (The car is in the driveway)
       Jim washed the car, standing in the driveway. (Jim is in the driveway)

It's interesting to note that sometimes that participial phrase is more
clearly an adverbial clause in its deep structure:

        Jim washed the car while he was standing in the driveway.

Than it is an adjectival (relative) clause:

        The girls who are dressed in pretty frocks marched around the oval.

Note also a difference between the restrictions on the two kinds of
modifiers, the relative clause and the participial phrase:  That who-clause
is rarely moved from its postnoun position, even when it's nonrestrictive:

        The girls, who are dressed in pretty frocks, marched around the oval.
        *The girls marched around the oval, who are dressed in pretty frocks.

But those nonrestrictive participles are movable and versatile--a tool that
our students should hear about.

Martha Kolln