ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:21:17 -0700
Thank you. Those reports are interesting. I find this
part especially intriguing:
"Taking into account the results and conclusions of
the accompanying in-depth review on the teaching of
formal grammar the main implication for policy of the
current review is that the National Curriculum in
England and accompanying guidance needs to be revised
to take into account the findings of research: that
the teaching of formal grammar (and its derivatives)
is ineffective; and the teaching of sentence combining
is one (of probably a number of) method(s) that is
effective."
Because I do a combination of what many would term
"skills/drills" exercises, lessons in grammar which
are unit specific (fragments, run-ons, comma
splices,verb problems, adjectives & adverbs, and
more), and contextually rich grammar exercises that
use the students' own essays, I am wondering what the
results of this type of study would prove. I believe
that a combination of approaches is useful when
teaching grammar, and never under the pretense that
this teaching is displacing other "more important"
aspects of teaching writing. I think of grammar
instruction as an integral addition to a writing
curriculum that is richly diverse.

--- "Castilleja, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>