ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
John Crow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:18:10 -0500
The following Web site contains a listing of expectations for grammar
teaching in the Washington public school system:

http://www.k12.wa.us/curriculuminstruct/writing/frameworks/conventions.aspx

While I am happy to see grammar instruction making a comeback
anywhere, I am concerned about the content of the list that is posted.
 I think ATEG should get involved here.  If you agree with me that
there are problems with the list, I would suggest either of two
options (and am certainly open to more):

1)  Send an e-mail to the contact person for the site, whose address
is provided therein, expressing your concerns.

2)  Reply back to this listserv or to me privately
([log in to unmask]).  I will compile everybody's concerns and send
them to the contact person, noting that they are from concerned ATEG
members.

As the pendulum swings back toward grammar instruction in K-12, I
think ATEG should provide some leadership.  If we haven't done so
already, perhaps those of you with more knowledge in the area than I
could come up with our own list of grade-appropriate instructional
targets / objectives and make it available through NCTE to all of the
public school districts.  We tend on rare occasion to be a rather
contentious group, but maybe just this once . . . .

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
John