ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:34:40 -0500
Edmond,

Yes, the virtues are apparent for all the reasons you say, and I will make use of this model. Again, thanks. But am I alone in finding that my college-level students are unable to identify parts of speech, let alone phrasal and syntactic structures? I ask in all seriousness because in January I will teach, for only the second time, a grammar course "for everyone" but especially for future teachers of English. My expectations were completely dashed the first time through. Is the kind of remarkable attention and methodology you describe here in wide use?

I'd also be grateful to you and everyone else for recommendations on a good grammar book to use. I used Longman in conjunction with a Diana Hacker book (and handouts from Artful Sentences) last time to give an overview of descriptive and prescriptive approaches, but I found working with the two texts difficult. I'm considering Graeme Kennedy's Structure and Meaning in English, and I've requested a review copy of the new book discussed on this listserv about a week ago. Any other suggestions?

Natalie