ATEG Archives

September 2000

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:31:32 -0500
My FEELING as a native speaker of standard English is that COULD is
highly preferable.  This is reinforced by knowledge of Latin in which
finite verbs embedded in subjunctive clauses are also in the subjunctive
"by attraction."  In a deeper sense, however, isn't the real answer that
there is no answer?  In the absence of official arbiters, it is hard to
see what it would mean to say that CAN is "incorrect."  Some people would
use it in that context, others wouldn't.  End of story.