ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Ronald Sheen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:48:32 -0700
phrasal verbs,. I've just come across an article about the difficulties for
L2 learners to learn how to use Swedish phrasal verbs.   They appear to be
very similar to those encountered by ESL students.   It also has the same
opposition between PVs and prepositional verbs.  The one difference is that
it seems (note the caution) that they tend (even more caution) only to have
figurative meanings and not the concrete meanings that we have such as

'He picked up the piece of paper.'

This seems really odd given that our figurative PVs develop from original
concrete meaning PVs.  ie  Pick up a girl in a bar.  from Pick up a piece of
paper.

Are there any Scandinavian language speakers on the List who can help on
this.

The lesson for me: given the thousands of world languages and my  knowledge
of only two or three of them, NEVER venture an opinion, no matter how
cautiously, about the thousands you know nothing about.

Ron Sheen