ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:47:23 -0400
Maureen,
   The term "gerund" comes up from time to time on list and often gets an
argument going. Some of us have trouble with it. At any rate, it is
usually used for the -ing form of the verb when the structure it heads
is in a noun phrase role. I like Bruce's analysis of #2 as a complement
of "trouble or "trouble with". But I don't think even a gerund advocate
would use gerund for the other two.
   The usual explanation for these participle phrases or clauses is that
they modify their implied subject. (Hence we get the notion of
"dangling participle" when this subject seems missing or misleading. "I
found a dollar walking down the street.") By this analysis, one and
three would modify their implied subjects ("I"). The fact that they
seem to add adverbial meaning (how the time was spent) is worth
pointing out. This isn't unusual for these structures. "Flailing my
arms, I pushed my way through the crowd." Even though this says "how",
it is usually described as an adjectival modifier of its implied
subject, "I".
   A word group like "building a shed" is more predicate like than noun
like. "Building" retains its verb like quality, even taking a direct
object complement ("shed") just as it would if this were a primary
clause. "I am building a shed." "I built a shed." For that reason, plus
the fact it's not in a noun phrase role, I would say "gerund" is
inappropriate even for a gerund fan.
   We do have the problem that "Smiling, I spent the morning" seems to
mean something different, at least in nuance, from "I spent the morning
smiling." That might be best explained as a sort of special quality of
the verb "spend". which seems to ask for a "how" complement, especially
in relation to a period of time. That way, at least, we won't get too
bogged down with the classification problem. Verbs govern the nature of
the predicate, and they are under no obligation to follow our ideas
about them.
   These are fine questions, by the way, very much what we often talk
about on the list.

Craig

To ATEG folks-