ATEG Archives

October 1997

From:
Wendell Ricketts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 08:13:24 -0700
At 08:52 AM 10/17/97 -0400, Brenda S. Campbell wrote:
>I had a doozy of a fight with my English professor last night.

Dear Brenda:

You're right; he's wrong. I fight with my students constantly about
hyphenation of compound adjectives  (and with the clients whom I serve as a
freelance editor), but the rule is the rule. The one source I can reliably
use when I need to say "SEE!" is *The New Yorker,* perhaps the last bastion
of the firm rule of always hyphenating those compounds. (Imagine the
struggles I had working once for a non-profit law firm when I wanted to
hyphenate "sexual-harassment suit."

Wendell

"This is not the way I am, but they don't want me
the way I am. So I put my handkerchief on and I am
the best mammy that they've ever seen, and when I
come home I take that handkerchief off." -- Hattie McDaniel
              Visit My Home Page
http://www.unm.edu/~wendellr/WENDELLR.HTM