ATEG Archives

November 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:06:22 -0500
Bill,
    That's a great question. It's impossible to answer precisely because this (and other largely prescriptive texts) doesn't have a section in which a wider description of the language is attempted. It doesn't have a glossary or index where one can look up "phrase" and get a clear sense of what the term applies to. And their examples are far too limited to be of use.
    My guess is that they treat a head noun and its modifiers (what we would call noun phrase) as permissible. "Any performance like last week's performance would be unacceptable." I can't imagine using "as" in that sentence even though "last week's performance" is clearly a phrase and was treated as such in the structural grammars operative at the time. (Parts of this book date back to 1935, but the usage discussion seems fifties oriented in its examples.)
     There are sections of the book that I find clear and useful, other sections that seem almost goofy. I would put this advice in the goofy column.

Craig

From: John Chorazy <<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Like/as
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:35:10 -0500
Good afternoon to all.  I'd appreciate your collective comments on the following:

"As with (or) Like some other great works, the enduring horror tale Frankenstein was first published anonymously; its author, Mary Shelly, wrote the novel when she was just nineteen years old."

As or like here, and why?

Thank you,

John

--
John Chorazy
English III Honors and Academic

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: <http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"
Visit ATEG's web site at <http://ateg.org/> http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: <http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"