ATEG Archives

August 1999

From:
"V. Weaver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:45:49 -0700
I am undecided whether or not I wish to obtain an ESL endorsement.
Currently at the UW, I am working under the guise of an intern in an IEL
program.  While assisting in the classroom, I have noticed the students
circumvent giving fellow students "advice."  I find they are resistant to
critique a proposal or give a recommendation.  Often the students
reiterate a statement of fact or summarize.  I have refrained from using
any type of imperative or exclamatory type sentence structure and further
suggested scenarios such as assisting  a fellow student with a proposal or
program and so on.  In the classroom we have tried the "may I suggest" or
you "should" . . . with little success.  I am looking for further
"grammatical" suggestions that will help ESL students build rapport with
colleagues and fellow employees in their technical writing.

Val Weaver