ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Johnstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:32:43 +0300
I wrote earlier today:

J> Pope Urban II's address at Chartres launching them almost a
J> millennium ago is framed in language that is hauntingly familiar
J> today.

Concluding his address and announcing the First Crusade, he is
reported to have said:

"They must do what God has commanded us to do, and He will be their
scout and their guide. Whoever finds his fate in the struggle will
have his sins whipped away and God will forgive him his transgressions.
The life of the world is but a misery, full of evil. After our souls
are exhausted before the breaking of our bodies and our spirits, we are
overcome by poverty and misery. Yet there we shall be blessed with
happiness and ease and we shall stand privileged and successful in
the sight of God. We must not be slow or reluctant but must prepare
ourselves to rush forth at the break of summer, and may God guide us."

Omar