ATEG Archives

May 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 14:41:34 -0400
If I were forced into our usual categories, I'd say it's just what you called it, a prepositional phrase as subject complement.  Short form for "grow operation." Usually an extremely large warehouse set up to grow massive hydroponic quantities of marijuana.  I suspect this structure arises for a curious reason.  Prepositions and verbs have some things in common.  They can both take objects; they both can be transitive or intransitive.  How they differ is that verbs can be inflected for tense and, to a limited degree, person and number.  Prepositions can't.  The consequence is that if the primary predicate of a sentence is the preposition we have to insert a verb, usually some form of BE, to carry the inflection.  This is a little clearer if we look at the meaning as a logical structure,

in(Cornelia, bad mood)

If we add tense to that, we could get

PAST(in(Cornelia, bad mood))

This is one of the problems with BE in English.  Its meaning is so dependent upon context.  A lot of languages, including some dialects of English, dispense with some of these uses of BE.

Herb