ATEG Archives

April 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 06:35:47 -0700
I would suspect the writer is not making any conscious decision at all
about syntactic analysis (e.g., deciding that "because" is a
coordinator). More likely, he is punctuating on feel, and inserted the
comma because he hears a slight pause in his mental reading of the
sentence and wants to convey that pause.