ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:14:54 -0400
DD,

This is very much like Craig's example, "rolling sevens".  These
instances of number words are numerals functionally shifted to nouns.
In your second example, "three" is not numerical but indexical, and in
the third "sevens" now is the name of the symbol.  These multiple uses
have to be covered at some point in school grammar, but I don't know
where, probably quite late.
The fact that these words take plural inflection is good evidence that
they either belong to both classes or that they have undergone
functional shift.  I'll have to think a little about how to tell those
two possibilities apart.

Language is messy, and we can't expect grammar to be a whole lot less
so.  Think how boring it'd all be otherwise.

Herb