ATEG Archives

March 2015

From:
Nathalia Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:17:08 -0400
I am hoping you could help me solve a bit of a mystery.  Some of my students have been taught that "so" is not a coordinating conjunction and should not be used to join two independent clauses.  Unfortunately, none of them can explain this other than to say "their teacher said so."  These are seventh and eighth grade students.  They have been taught the mnemonic device FANBOY to remember the coordinating conjunctions and are holding firm in their "understanding."  Am I missing something?

Best,

Nathalia Hardy