ATEG Archives

September 1997

From:
Marie Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 17:00:08 -0700
Hi Jane,

Where teaching grammar in context and using collaborative groups is
concerned, you might find my research of interest. It's reported in At the
Point of Need:  Teaching BAsic and ESL WRiters, and it synthesizes the
research of myself and 40 graduate students over a 5-year period of data
collection. It's from Heinemann.

Marie
-------------------
Marie Wilson Nelson
National-Louis University

> Hi. My name is Jane, and I teach Freshman Composition at
NH
Community
> Technical College. I'm doing graduate work at Plymouth State College
> and am currently doing a research design in the area of grammar and
> composition instruction. So, while we're we are instructing different
> populations, Patricia, we are exploring a similar topic. I'd
> appreciate insight and direction anyone can send me. My research will
> explore the value of teaching grammar in a laboratory setting with
> student working cooperatively to master the most commonly used and
> misused rules of usage. I'd appreciate insight into research on,
> and/or documented experience with, any of the following:
>                                                 collaborative learning;
>                                                 teaching grammar in context;
>                                                 value of grammar mastery to
 success in composition;