ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
JEFF GLAUNER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:36:19 -0500
In our case, they didn't so much restrict initially.  Rather, they asked for
a huge volume of items, then eliminated anything that wasn't what they had
in mind in the first place.  So, in order to be politically correct, they
accepted a few mindless multicultural items along with the same items they
have had on the test for two or three generations.  I pulled a bit of
subterfuge to be invited to the committee.  I said I had Native American
blood (which I do, about 3%) so they put me on as their Native American
representative.  I soon found out that the only Indians they wanted to hear
about were akin to Hiawatha ("By the shores of Gitche Gumee . . .").
Actually, as I remember, Longfellow was also unfashionable at that moment;
but you get the idea.

Jeff Glauner
Park University