ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:01:02 -0700
It isn't so much grammar teaching that gets attacked but "bad" grammar teaching.  My personal feeling is that there has likely never been particularly much bad grammar teaching just a fair amount of resistance and frustration with grammar and grammar teaching that got blown way out of proportion.  It is much more of a folk myth like big foot or ufos.  The believers in some past age of bad grammar and bad grammar teachers are much like those believers in bigfoot.  A few anecdotes and a couple of foggy references and pictures is enough to set off the alarms and the rhetoric.  But in actual fact there is very little sound proof of bad grammar practices.  I think it would be of value for someone actually to describe the bad practices in the past in some detail and then to provide examples from the textbooks with these bad practices.

I think we would all note that there is very little difference in teaching grammar now, 25 years ago or even 50 years ago EXCEPT for interesting and provocative anecdotal evidence that there were repititive exercises out there.  However, interactivity, more real life exercises and the internet have made it more exciting and more effective.

Don't get me wrong.  I am aware there was also some limited evidence that suggested that grammar teaching could not be shown to be directly of value for writing skills but this is another issue.  What I want to impress on everyone is the idea that most of the "bad grammar" is non-existent.  It's a bigfoot with exciting and attractive evidence that never leads to a definitie discovery.  Someone needs to write an essay that types and lists rather exhaustively the bad grammar teaching practices.  (I am thinking about it but have three other writing projects ahead of it and I don't have much of a library available to me).  My article in "English Today_ this month on "The New SAT and Fundamental Misunderstandings of English Grammar" lists some of the myths as well.

And of course let's all bow our heads in the direction of Mulroy's _The War Against Grammar_ as much of the work to disprove the existence of bad grammar is already there.

Phil Bralich