ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:44:11 -0400
I'm probably going to sound horribly pompous in the following
observations, but I think this thread is bringing up a common, general
problem in assessment, and it will inevitably apply to any attempt to
set up standardized benchmarks and assessment strategies for grammar
education: some things lend themselves far more easily to operational
definitions than others (at least, in the old logical-positivist sense
of operational definitions), and one has to constantly work to prevent
the naturally-occurring "lines of least resistance" from distorting the
assessment system and the goals to which it is connected.

It is, for example, far, far easier to define operationally what
constitutes an acceptable level of control over subject-verb agreement
than to construct an equivalent definition of what constitutes an
acceptable level of control over word-choice. "Being able to turn an
active sentence into a passive sentence" is a skill that easy to define
operationally; "being able to use passive sentences appropriately" is
less so. In practice, operational definitions of the difficult stuff
only *look* operational, or are a bit circular; e.g. "A piece of writing
shows appropriate use of passives if a representative set of composition
teachers think it shows appropriate use of passives." After all, the
logical-positivists themselves, who pushed the idea of operational
definitions about as far as it would go, had to acknowledge the problems
inherent in them in the end.

This does not, of course, entail that we should not try to define things
operationally. The basic, common-sense assessment idea that "it's a good
thing to know whether you're doing what you think you're doing" is hard
to argue with, and the vaguer the definition, the harder it is to use it
for anything worthwhile. I've seen numerous examples of definitions that
were seemingly intended almost solely to create a nice
responsibility-free spin zone (and the evils of vague definitions pale
in comparison to the horror that is the average goals statement). But
I've also seen what happens when assessment is driven by what is *easy*
to operationalize, and the results are a disservice to our students and
to the democracy they'll shape.

The solution may be to adopt the same kind of strategy toward each case
of  operationalization that we do toward most other public-policy
issues: do a cost-benefit analysis. Whenever it's possible to create a
nice, tight, operational definition, do so. If consensus can't be
reached on an operational definition for proficiency in a skill that
everyone views as vital, however, tolerating some fuzziness may be
warranted -- I'm not going to ignore tone as a writing issue, for
example, simply because it's not amenable to exact definition or
measurement. If considerations of assessment language pressure
instructors to drop entire topics from the curriculum, we're in trouble.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University.