ATEG Archives

November 2007

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:15:20 -0500
Janet,

Craig and Bill both comment insightfully on the difference between
linguistic theory and writing/language arts pedagogy.  Linguistic theory
is about describing the natural phenomenon that we call language.  (I'm
intentionally ignoring, for the moment, what goes on in sociolinguistic
and psycholinguistic research or in first and second language research.)
Linguistic theory is not about how students learn to write or about what
makes for effective speaking and writing.  You're absolutely right that
your interest should be in how different structures affect and reflect
meaning, and you can talk quite explicitly about active and passive
sentences without taking on the formal overhead demanded by a syntactic
theory of how these sentences might or might not be related to each
other.  Bruce's four sentences

1) John put the books on the shelf.
2) John shelved the books.
3) The books are on the shelf.
4) The shelf has the books on it.

are a wonderful illustration of the problems syntactic theory faces, and
different theories of language deal with this sort of variation in very
different ways, none of which is of much interest to the teacher who's
trying to lead students to understand such a range of choices.

My position on linguistic theory versus psychological reality may be
towards one of the extremes, but I have yet to see an experiment that
purports to demonstrate the psychological reality of some linguistic
construct that isn't seriously flawed.  I fear psychological reality is
the favorite rabbit hole of even some of the best of linguistic
theorists.  I remember even Jim McCawley taking a dive down that hole a
few years ago, and he told me afterwards he knew better, and Jim was one
of the best of us.  We all want our theories to do more than account for
data, and what could be better than a model of what speakers and hearers
do, not simply what they know.  Unfortunately, even the latter remains a
serious challenge to linguistics.

You have an impressive facility with grammar and writing pedagogy, and I
trust your judgment in those areas much more than that of theoretical
linguists who think that their theory is about such things.

Herb

Hi

We have found at our school that the usefulness of sentence combining is
directly tied to what the teacher does with it.  If it is used as a dry,
dusty sent of work sheets, it doesn't help.  When teachers engage the
students in discussions of options and the way things can work, it can
be helpful, or at least interesting.

I guess I'm not tied to the idea that transformations must happen, or
even that they always happen in a certain way, although some patterns
seem pretty clear (passives).  I want students to be able to see passive
sentences, but I'm really more interested in how passives, for example,
affect meaning. I'm not a big fan of teaching grammar in writing classes
if 'grammar' means endless drills and sentence diagramming.  But I am
also not sure how to teach a writing class without talking about
language, and I don't know how to talk about language without using some
grammatical terms.  Although I think the best way for students to become
better readers and writers is to do a lot of reading and writing, I also
think there is value in talking about language itself.

Janet